Job Summary/Basic Function
At Maryville University, we power dreams-not just degrees. Our vision is to be the innovative leader in higher education promoting a revolution in student learning that expands access and opportunities for all.
Maryville University is searching for an energetic and forward-thinking Assistant Professor/Instructor* of Cybersecurity to join our fast-growing John E. Simon School of Business where we are serious about our mission to develop technologically-savvy future business leaders. We seek educators who think innovatively, build competence in technology, and use engaging pedagogy, particularly problem-based learning to help our students deepen their learning and broaden their perspectives. The successful candidate must also embrace diversity and global awareness and be committed to fostering a culturally diverse atmosphere for faculty, staff, and students.
Course subjects include, but are not limited to:
Network and Wireless Security
Applied Operating Systems
Cyber Law, Policy, & Compliance
Virtualization and Cloud Security
Security Information and Event Management
Incident Response and Malware Analysis
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the University’s mission, academic policies and procedures, expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
- Faculty must be available to teach courses and advise students in face-to-face modality in St. Louis.
- Teach assigned courses as specified in the schedule and course contract, employing a variety of teaching strategies in order to effectively deliver course content that demonstrates both academic and real-world applications of concepts covered.
- Develop innovative pedagogical strategies, including the use of technology, to deliver course content in a meaningful and engaging manner.
- Foster a teaching-learning environment that values and supports the diversity of students’ ideas, opinions, and backgrounds and prepares them for success in a culturally diverse work force.
- Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, assignments and deadlines.
- Ensure that program-wide learning and specific course learning outcomes are assessed for continuous improvement.
- Provide feedback to students and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner.
- Foster mutually beneficial relationships with business professionals to facilitate currency of curriculum and to build internship and career opportunities.
- Propose and work toward a productive research/scholarship agenda consonant with the demands of a teaching-focused institution.
- Support the mission of the Simon School of Business and Maryville University through school, campus, and professional service.
- Maintain regular contact (via phone, email, virtual/in-person office hours) with students to provide additional assistance with questions/concerns.
- Work closely with advisees and Life Coaches to facilitate students’ academic and personal success, and career readiness.
- Additional duties as assigned.
*NOTE: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until suitable candidates are selected. Terminal degree required for appointment to Assistant Professor title and tenure track.*
• Doctorate with at least 15 graduate hours in Cybersecurity or Information Technology related field
• Three years of full-time teaching experience at the post-secondary level
• Experience in online teaching and online course development
• Relevant industry experience using tools such as VM Ware, Windows/Linux OS, SIEM’s etc.
• Relevant industry certifications a plus (e.g., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CDPSE, CSX-P, CEH, CHFI, OSCP, GCTI)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Provide a professional letter of interest that includes your teaching philosophy, your experience designing and delivering problem-based learning, your specific interest in and approach to addressing the key pillars of the Maryville University strategic plan and Simon School of Business, your academic area(s) of focus, and your approach to meeting the responsibilities outlined above. Your application should also include a curriculum vitae and the names and contact information for 3-5 professional references. References will not be contacted without permission of the candidate
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.