Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville University actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in their fields and have a passion for teaching. Adjunct faculty are an integral part of the University’s learning community.
The John E. Simon School of Business is accepting applications for an academically/professionally qualified adjunct faculty member to teach a Principles of Finance course during the Spring 2023 semester. The course will be conducted face-to-face on our main campus and scheduled during regular business hours. Applicants would need to have reliable transportation as well as the flexibility to teach during the daytime.
FIN-312 Principles of Finance
Description: Students examine basic financial management of business firms: a) procurement, b) allocation and c) control of funds; corporate financial behavior; financial instruments and markets; and the analysis and interpretation of investment and profit performance.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
· Must be committed to fostering a culturally diverse atmosphere.
· Teach assigned course as specified in the schedule and course contract.
· Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the University’s mission, academic policies and procedures, expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
· Prepare essential lesson plans and assignments. Develop course syllabus.
· Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, assignments and deadlines, using available technology with Canvas.
· Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world applications of concepts covered.
· Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class assignments, group projects, etc.
· Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner.
· Establish times outside of class to assist students with additional questions and concerns.
· Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in the course.
· Additional duties, as assigned, will vary based on course(s) taught.
· Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration (MBA) or related field from a regionally accredited institution.
· Relevant certifications pertaining to the finance field (e.g., CFP, CFA).
· Willingness and ability to learn new academic technology and engaged pedagogy to facilitate student learning.
· Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants would need to have reliable transportation as well as the flexibility to teach during the daytime on our main campus.
While the School of Business is searching for a qualified applicant to teach the specified course during the Spring 2023 semester, the department is also using this posting to build a qualified pool of instructors to fill teaching needs as they arise.
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.