Job Summary/Basic Function
At Maryville University, we power dreams-not just degrees. Our vision is to be the innovative leader in higher education, promoting a revolution in student learning that expands access and opportunities for all.
The Controller will direct the financial operations of the University, including financial reporting and analysis, budgeting, and forecasting. They will proactively and strategically manage the finances of the university and align expenses and budget with the strategic direction of the university.
• Oversees employees responsible for financial reporting, accounting, accounts payable, payroll, and budget preparation.
• Implements internal control policies and procedures for all financial activities.
• Coordinates the company’s financial planning, budgeting, and investment activities.
• Oversees the preparation of periodic financial statements, activity reports, financial forecasts, and annual budgets.
• Ensures that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) or international financial reporting standards.
• Provide oversight and management of reporting to external constituents including, but not limited to, GAAP financial statements, Integrated Postsecondary Data System (IPEDS), and required tax filings.
• Reviews financial details from past, present, and forecasted operations; identifies development opportunities and improvements that can be made.
• Provides management with short- and long-term financial objectives and policies.
• Collaborates with external auditors to provide the information needed for the annual audit.
• Serves as the primary liaison and resource for area managers and directors regarding budget and financial issues.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent and highly accurate math and accounting skills.
• Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software, and specialized accounting software used by the organization.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or Business Administration required; Master’s degree preferred.
• Five years or more of related experience required.
• CPA designation preferred.
• Data Driven: Utilize data to remove obstacles and anticipate customer needs.
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion - foster a sense of inclusion in every interaction
• Five-Star Service mentality – “how can I help” attitude
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.